In this hands-on workshop we will teach you how to prepare your own hand made painting surfaces. Tutored by artist Robert Kelly, who has mastered the craft of creating stable surfaces and making paint from raw materials. Students who are curious about creating work from the foundation of its making will love this workshop.
Over the course of this daylong session, you will learn how to:
- Build a frame using pre-prepared stretcher bars.
- Preparing wood boards for painting.
- Stretching linen onto wooden boards to create a stable archival painting board.
- How to prime raw canvas and prepare it for painting.
- An introduction to making your own oil paints from pigment.
Students will also be guided on how to set up a home studio and how to schedule time to dedicate to a disciplined practice.
This class is appropriate for developing artists who are interested in elevating their practice and understanding their materials. All materials will be provided. Total cost of workshop includes up to four completed painting surfaces to take home.
Before confirming your booking, please read our terms and conditions thoroughly as we are unable to offer refunds, credits or transfers.