Learn how to understand the properties of Oil Paint and how to use it in a considered, safe and informed manner. Led by artist Robert Kelly, previously a principle instructor at the Florence Academy of Art, this workshop has been developed as an antidote to the flooding of the market with cheap, unnecessary and sometimes unsafe materials. We are great believers in less is best and will show you how to create work with minimum materials and investment. In the morning session of this workshop, you will learn through demonstration and practice:
- What properties make up oil paint.
- How to make oil paint from a raw pigment source.
- How to set up your oil painting practice safely.
- Which solvents and mediums are required for basic painting.
- Which brushes to use in oil painting.
- How to clean and preserve your brushes.
- How to mix a wide range of colours using 3 tubes of paint plus white.
In the afternoon, students will paint from a still-life set up using the simple mix of colours created in the morning session. In this section of the workshop participants will also explore tone and texture to attain depth in painting. Open to beginner and intermediate students who wish to clarify and enrich their understanding of this beautiful medium.Students will also be guided on how to set up a home studio and how to schedule time to dedicate to a disciplined practice. All materials are included in the price of the workshop. Before confirming your booking, please read our terms and conditions thoroughly as we are unable to offer refunds, credits or transfers.